216TH ENGINEERING INSTALLATION SQ
Published November 26, 2008
The history of the 216 EIS stems back to January 1, 1943 when the 98th Signal Company was constituted and assigned to the 7th Service Group under Air Service Command. During World War II, the redesignated 1098th Signal Company arrived in Australia on November 18, 1943 to support the 5th Air Force in the war in the Pacific. During their time overseas the 1098th distinguished itself earning three WWII Asiatic Pacific Campaign Awards as well as the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation.
On May 24, 1946, the 1098th Signal Company was redesignated to the 615th
Signal Light Construction Company. In May of 1951, by direction of President Harry S. Truman, the 615th was ordered to active duty and transferred to serve under the United States Air Forces in Europe. On February 1, 1953, the 615th
Signal Light Construction Company was returned to state control and redesignated the 216th Communications Construction Squadron.
On May 1, 1970, the 216th Communications Construction Squadron was
redesignated as the 216 EIS. Since that date, the 216 EIS has been deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base, in direct support of Operation SOUTHERN WATCH and recently has deployed unit members to Diego Garcia in support of Operation
The 216 EIS's proud and distinguished history has culminated in numerous awards including the California Governor's Outstanding Unit Award as well as the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and those previously listed.
As of April 2008, the 216th EIS was transformed to the newly 216th Operations Support Squadron. The new squadron mission is, but not limited to, the direct support of the Joint Space Operations Command at Vandenberg Air Force Base. It is now under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Brett Nelson with Major Lorne Chui as the Director of Operations.