September's Featured Airman of the Month
By Airman First Class Ashley Ramirez, 146AW
/ Published September 06, 2011
Channel Islands, Calif -- The 146th Airlift Wing recognizes Senior Airman Nathan Rucker as our September Featured Airman of the Month. Senior Airman Rucker works in medical and says he would not do anything else in the Air Force. Thank you for your service Senior Airman Rucker and congratulations!
1. When did you enlist in the Air Force, how long have you been in the service?
I enlisted in the Air Force March of 2008 and have been serving ever since.
2. What motivated you to enlist in the Air Force?
I wanted to be in the medical field for a long time and was looking into the military route. My neighbor who works out here told me about the unit and the 146 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. I heard a brief description of what the job entitles and after talking to a couple of the members with the 146 AES I was signing papers and awaiting my BMT and Technical School dates.
3. How has being an Airman changed your point of view on life?
I appreciate my time at home with my family a lot more. Having to be away from home makes you realize that time still goes on and to really value the moments you have.
4. What's the most important lesson you've learned in the military?
Patience and hard work.
5. What is your favorite part/memory about the Air Force?
My Flight School graduation was very memorable. We were the last class to go through Flight School at Brooks AFB before it was moved. To add to it, about 20 flyers from the 146 AES flew out to see the graduation, including Chief Toberman, who was the one who pinned my flight wings on during the graduation ceremony.
6. If you could deploy anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I will gladly deploy to any location that assists the AE mission.
7. If you could choose any Air Force job, which would it be? Why?
I am happy with the career choice I made. This has been the most exciting career path. The job, the flying and the mission are all very rewarding. I am lucky to be working with the 146 AES and its flyers.
8. Where did you grow up?
I was born in Palo Alto, California moved to Gilbert, Arizona for 5 years then to Chesapeake, Virginia for another 5 years. I reside in Santa Clarita, California now and have been there for the past 13 years.
9. What is your civilian job?
I am a full time student working towards earning my Bachelors in Nursing.
10. What are your hobbies?
I enjoy hiking, running, and cycling.
11. What would people be surprised to know about you?
Halloween is my favorite holiday, I tend to go all out for it.